We all make mistakes, all the time. I still make mistakes every day, but I thought it would be fun to make a list of the top five beauty blunders I used to make because I’ve seen a few people make videos like this on YouTube lately. So feel free to read mine below, presented in no particular order.
- Never washing my face at night: I don’t know what it was about washing my face that I disliked so much, but I used to HATE it. I don’t know if I just thought it took a lot of time or what, but I would just avoid it like the plague. At one point, I would just take some toner, put it on a cotton ball, run that over my face and call it a night. I don’t know what my logic for that was, and I’m sure I didn’t even really know what toner was, which made this an even bigger blunder.
- Putting thick black eyeliner on my top and bottom lash line: I used to LOVE black eyeliner, and I would run it all along my top and bottom lash lines in a very thick line. It used to be “all the rage” in school, I swear. It made my eyes look super small, and I used to wear glasses, which also made my eyes look a little small. Basically, I looked like a raccoon some days, but I thought I was being very fashionable. I may still put black eyeliner on my top and bottom lash lines, but now I use a light hand when applying and clean up any mess with qtips and makeup remover.
- Not wearing blush: I was guilty of this until about a year or so ago. I don’t know what it was about blush, but I just thought it looked dumb and not natural or something. Sure, I’d use blush before, but probably some really cheap kind from the drugstore, and I didn’t really know how to apply it right, so it never looked right on me. I have a pretty pale, fair complexion, so me not applying blush could make me look like a ghost at times! Now I use bronzer and blush on a fairly daily basis to add some color back to my face, and I think I look really strange without at least blush on my cheeks.
- Not wearing an eyeshadow primer: This is probably because I didn’t know it existed or because it was too expensive for me when I was younger, but still. I think I just got used to all my shadows creasing, fading and blending into each other, so the first time I tried a primer, I was blown away. I couldn’t believe the difference it made! I currently use the one from NYX that’s about $7, but I’ve heard there’s a good one from elf that’s only $1, so eyeshadow primers are definitely affordable nowadays!
- Not using moisturizer: Sort of along the same lines as washing my face, I didn’t even really want to think about moisturizing my skin. I’m sure there was no valid reason, but I bet I thought it wouldn’t do anything, so why waste my time? Ugh, I want to slap my past self sometimes. Moisturizer is so important! Now I use it every night and every morning, and I swear my face has never felt better. I can definitely tell a difference when I use moisturizer or when I forget when I’m running late while getting ready. It’s also important to use a moisturizer with SPF during the day, but I admit I don’t always buy moisturizers with SPFs in them.
What are some beauty mistakes you used to make, or maybe still make and are still trying to get over?